25020 Second Corridor Built 1956


Built at Derby to diagram 146. It saw service on both east and west coast main lines before entering preservation. The coach was documented as being stored out of use at the Gloucester and Warwickshire Railway in 1983 in chocolate and cream livery. It remained out of use for many years before finally being purchased by a consortium of AVR members in 2012 in very poor condition. It was the first coach to be restored at the AVR and entered service in carmine and cream livery in October 2016.

Together with BSK 35072, it forms part of the operational rake.


Built at Gloucester to diagram 181. After main line service it operated at the Paignton and Dartmoor railway from 1987 and from 1992 was part of their Riviera Belle rake with fluorescent lighting, PA system and a bar in the goods area. In 2006 it is recorded as being at the Weardale Railway in carmine and cream livery. It was purchased by an AVR member in 2014 from North East Rail Restorations, where it had been partly restored. Restoration was completed at the AVR including a conversion to push pull operation which was used before the runaround at Greenrigg was completed.

Together with SK 25020, it forms part of the operational rake.

35072 Brake Second Corridor Built 1957
4755 Tourist Second Open built 1957


Built at York to diagram 93. After main line service it was in operation from Steamtown, Carnforth on main line charters until 1990, then became a dining annex to the Bogie Chain pub in Wallsend. When the pub closed, the coach was unused while the pub building became a builders office.

The coach was donated to the AVR in 2019 when the site was cleared for development. It is largely complete including the internal seating, but has a 12 foot hole cut in one side where it joined the pub. It currently awaits its turn for restoration.


Built at BRCW to diagram 146. After operation on the BR midland mainline, it is recorded as being at the Northampton and Lamport Railway in 1990, before moving to the Telford Steam Railway in 2001, where it saw operational use for around 10 years, before being bought for the AVR by a member in 2016. It is complete, but in poor condition in BR crimson livery.

It is believed to be one of the earliest mark 1 coaches still in existence and includes some features that were changed in later models, including butt hinges. It currently awaits its turn for restoration.

24576 Second Corridor built 1953
25032 Second Corridor built 1956


Built at Derby to diagram 146. After mainline use, the coach was bought by the Fowler 3F society at Mid Hants, then subsequently the South Devon and Weardale Railways, before being purchased by AVR members in 2018. It is in crimson lake and cream livery and awaits restoration to operational service.


Built at Wolverton to diagram 181. After operational main line use, the coach was purchased by the friends of the National Railway Museum and modified for use as a support coach. It later had the interior stripped out and was used as an education coach for school visits.

It was purchased by a member in 2016. While awaiting its restoration as a brake coach, it is regularly used for special events.

35362 Brake Second Corridor built 1962
25631 Second Corridor built 1958


Built at Wolverton to diagram 146. After use mainly on the west Coast main line, the coach was purchased by the Gloucester and Warwickshire Railway in 1989, then subsequently saw service at Stratford and Broadway Railway, before moving to Mid Norfolk Railway in 2011.

It was purchased by members in 2021 and is currently undergoing restoration to operational use. Currently BR Southern green, it will be repainted to carmine and cream.


Built at Derby to diagram 88. One of the first coaches to be acquired by the AVR, it was purchased direct from main line operation in 1997 and stored at the Stephenson Railway Museum in North Tyneside. Whilst there it was extensively vandalised and continued water ingress caused further damage. Moved to Longhoughton goods yard in 2007, then to Lionheart site in 2014.

The extent of structural decay is such that it can’t be economically restored, but currently serves as a woodworking shop and carriage and wagon store.

5210 Tourist Second Open built 1966
14122 Brake First Corridor built 1969


Built at derby to diagram 165. Purchased from main line service by Rail UK, then subsequently bought along with 5210 by the AVR and stored at Stephenson Railway Museum, where it was extensively vandalised.

The extent of structural decay makes it beyond economic repair, but it currently serves as a Bring and Buy shop and store.


Built at Earlston to diagram 816. Designed to move carriages, then subsequently cars, the CCT has doors at either end that can open allowing the loading of vehicles, which could then drive through between trucks for ease of loading.

This example is privately owned and was brought to the AVR in 2016, where it awaits restoration. Meanwhile it is used for storage and mobile workshop space.

94606 4 wheel Covered Carriage Truck built 1958
LMS 31407 Gangwayed Full Brake built 1950

LMS 31407

Built by BR at Wolverton to an LMS design, diagram no 2171. Used primarily as a parcel van, it later saw departmental use on BR delivering stationery from Crewe. Purchased in 1987 by Steamtown, Carnforth, it was later at Crewe Heritage Centre, Chippenham and West Somerset Railway, before being restored by North East Rail Restorations for use as a support coach with the new build G5 locomotive project.

Changes in the requirements for using wooden framed coaches on the main line led to it being used at Weardale Railway before being bought by the AVR for conversion to a café/waiting room for use at Greenrigg.

NER 41

Built for the North Eastern Railway at York to diagram B, it is believed to have been one of three such vehicles. It is complete with a fully equipped kitchen and toilet and would have been reserved for exclusive use by the directors and officers of the railway. Originally lit by oil lamps, there is evidence of gas lighting and electric lighting probably installed sometime after 1911. It is complete with original underframe, furniture and internal fittings. The vehicle survived into departmental use as dynamometer car, engineers saloon and tunnel inspection vehicle. It was last overhauled at York in 1965.

Bought privately in the 1970s, the coach was loaned to a number of heritage railways, including Keighley and Worth Valley, Bolton and Embsay, Peak Rail and Tanfield before moving in a very poor state to the AVR in 2012. It has just completed a six year restoration to re-enter service in 2022.

NER 41 six wheel Directors’ saloon built 1896
NER 2688 six wheel Third Open built 1888 (grounded body)

NER 2688

Built for North Eastern Railway at York to diagram 28. Consists of a single compartment, an open saloon, toilet and luggage area. Withdrawn from LNER in 1938, the coach body was removed to form holiday accommodation. The body was moved to the Beamish Museum in 1990 and featured in the colliery area and as storage.

It was acquired by the AVR when Beamish decided they had no further use for it and cosmetically restored to provide a waiting room and stationmaster’s office. A suitable underframe has now been acquired and the coach will hopefully be restored to partner the NER directors coach at some point.